Who We Are
Grow and Convert is a content marketing agency that differentiates itself by publishing a smaller number of articles than other content firms, but at a much higher quality. We use carefully measured data to attribute leads to individual articles (more detail about why we’re different than most agencies in this post). We have a wide range of clients from B2B services, to SaaS, to select B2C companies. Some examples of our clients below.
Our team is 100% remote (and will always be). Our clients are worldwide, although most are in the U.S.
About our business writing role:
We’re looking for writers who have experience writing non-beginner, advanced level content, on any topic (because this raw talent and experience is more important for us than domain expertise, which can be picked up quickly).
- You have portfolio pieces that show you have experience discussing and dissecting topics beyond the introductory, “beginner guide” level. Examples below.
- You are comfortable interviewing subject matter experts and turning the learnings from the interviews into educational business articles that will teach your readers how to accomplish something or think about something in a new way.
- You should have an understanding of what is obvious and uninteresting to marketers, founders, and entrepreneurs, as well as what is interesting, educational, noteworthy.
What Advanced Level Writing Looks Like
The more your pieces look like this, the more likely we are to email back.
Our piece for a client: 33 Years After a Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), This Businessman Reclaimed His Life
Contrasting introductory piece (We don’t want pieces like this.)
The latter just defines the term and gives basic info that all of the first page results for this term give, whereas ours presents a well written, compelling story about TBIs.
How To Strategy Example
Our Piece: Our New eCommerce Facebook Ads Strategy for Finding New Audiences with High ROAS (Inflow).
Contrasting introductory piece. (We don’t want pieces like this.)
Our piece walks readers through an original strategic framework that our client explained to us (in a 60 min recorded interview conducted by our writer). Contrast that with the second piece on the same topic (ecommerce Facebook ad strategy) which explains the most basic, beginner level things about Facebook advertising like installing a conversion pixel which any beginner running a Facebook ad would know.
Contrasting introductory piece (We don’t want pieces like this.)
Even though our piece in this example doesn’t include a personal story, note how ours covers advanced points such as situations where you’d want to hire one vs the other, whereas the contrasting piece, which ranks #4 for the term “independent contractor vs employee” only defines the terms and gives basic, IRS rules.
Other Examples of Our Pieces
- [Story] From Financial Distress to Monthly Income: Jack Lowe’s Journey as an Independent Creator (Patreon)
- [SEO] Google Analytics Alternatives (We do occasionally need to do list posts when the search query calls for it. But even then note how we categorize our items, which ads a layer of clarity vs. other simple lists. This ranks #1 for “google analytics alternatives” at the time of writing.
- [SEO] Multiple Concussions (This ranks #1 for Multiple Concussions)
- [How to Mixed With Story] 5 Steps to Predictable, Monthly Income for Any Creator with an Audience (Patreon)
Necessary skills for our writing team:
– You must have something we call “clarity of thought,” i.e., understand the key points of a post and how to convey them without fluff.
– You must be able to respond intelligently to editing and feedback. We always provide constructive criticism and expect to work with you to make the post as strong as it can be.
– You must be empathetic and know what matters to the audience for each piece.
– You must be responsive (we don’t assign pieces or deadlines without checking with you and usually have at least two weeks built in for back-and-forth on each piece).
– You must be willing and eager to learn. We’ve created a number of educational resources to help you understand exactly what we do and what we want from you.
– Must have experience/portfolio showing prior experience on these types of articles. If you don’t, we won’t have a good way to judge you.
– We’ve found that the most successful writers have an eagerness to continually improve and get better at their craft
Benefits of working with us:
- Contract (fixed-price per article basis)
- We pay $350 per article
- After writers have written for us for months, mastered the process and require minimal editing, we pay $450 per post
- We’re looking for long term, steady relationships with writers
- For the most talented writers we have at least 2 routes to be able to earn sizable annual incomes working with us (so you can be less reliant on other clients):
- Writers can make between $50,000 – $60,000 annually ($4,000 – $5,000/month) writing enough pieces to equate to a reasonable work week
- Writers interested in marketing strategy can become content strategists, which can make between $60,000 – $80,000+ annually with enough work to equate to a reasonable work week. More on strategists below.
We have spreadsheet models of different scenarios we can share for writers who show this level of promise.
- We don’t have word count requirements for our posts. Our philosophy is “However long you need to make your points.” But you can see typical lengths in the above examples, or know that they typically fall between 1200 – 3000 words.
- Lots of Room to Grow: As mentioned above, talented and driven writers can grow into content strategists, where they get paid monthly for managing the strategy for their accounts, get paid $450 per article they write, and get additional payment for articles they delegate to other writers and edit. The content strategist role is long term, flexible, and creatively rewarding.
Our content strategists can:
- Take on as much or as little work as they want (from many accounts to just one)
- Can make upwards of $80,000 – $90,000 per year using various combinations of strategy, writing and editing (we have a spreadsheet modeling different scenarios out)
- Can mentor and train new writers
- Get to be on the cutting edge of content marketing, applying and tweaking our strategies such as Pain Point SEO, blog conversion attribution and more.
- Note: 100% of our content strategists began as writers.
If interested, please apply here.